Best Of Three Worlds
April 19, 2024, 05:02:28 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ok guys, I have returned!!! I know the activity is nill to none, but my users who still come here and I are going to try and revive this forum!!! Smiley

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Gun control.

Recent Items

Views: 15
Comments (0)
By: PhoenixTears

Views: 14
Comments (0)
By: PhoenixTears

Views: 36
Comments (3)
By: Dr. Backflips

Views: 27
Comments (1)
By: Dr. Backflips
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Gun control.  (Read 475 times)
Stefan the SwordSaint

~Stefan

« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2008, 01:43:30 pm »

There's evidence to show the opposite (that loosening Gun Control) helps gun-crime go down.  Not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure my friend was saying how in Israel, everyone gets military training, and a fire arm and they have some of the least gun violence.  I can check though next time I see him.
Report Spam   Logged

clicky clicky
FE9 quote: "Now we've got you! Eat rock! Heh... eat rock... I'm pretty clever..." - Soldier (to Ike's army)
Leonri
Crow Soldier

Enigmatic Man

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2008, 01:59:09 pm »

^ Are you seriously using Israel as a model country?! 
It's also about the culture. America has a very pro-gun attitude. People are proud of owning lethal weapons and you can tell some are itching to use them. I was shocked when my Canadian cousin told me that a guy had brought a gun to her school one time. She informed me that most of the schools around her had a shooting or similar incident. And this is Canada! Supposed to be so much safer than America....

In Ireland people can legally own guns yet very few do. They are rightly seen as dangerous weapons. I personally have never seen a gun in Ireland, police don't use them and the most dangerous thing students bring to school is a lighter. And gun-crime is almost non-existant.
Report Spam   Logged

Obligatory FE9 quote:

"Don't worry about old Kieran! Just gotta take this axe out of my head.....Whoo that's sharp!" -Kieran/Rhys B support.
Stefan the SwordSaint

~Stefan

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2008, 02:28:03 pm »

See here's the thing... not everyone here is from America.
Report Spam   Logged

clicky clicky
FE9 quote: "Now we've got you! Eat rock! Heh... eat rock... I'm pretty clever..." - Soldier (to Ike's army)
Kiroshima

Follower of Twilight

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2008, 07:19:20 pm »

About Israel, they can't HAVE ANY CRIME at all, since they are surrounded on all sides by their religious enemies, called Muslims.  I bet crime rate is pretty dang low, since they are generally busy fighting to survive, or were at least O_o.  They are modern day Spartans. 

Loosening gun control laws would dampen crime because then no criminal has an advantage of illegal guns, in the best case scenario.  When there are big gun control laws, the criminal is breaking the law anyways, so he is going to get the biggest/best gun he can, and because of gun control laws, no one else is going to be able to oppose him.  But with lose laws, they don't have the advantage, and would rather not let him/herself get shot.  You get me?  But this is all in the BEST case scenario.  I just get the feeling the weaker gun control laws would just be abused aka the worse/worst case scenario.
Report Spam   Logged

Stefan the SwordSaint

~Stefan

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2008, 08:14:30 pm »

Basically the theory is: if someone really wants to get a gun, they'll get it.  No way around it, so let people defend themselves by putting them on equal ground.
Report Spam   Logged

clicky clicky
Leonri
Crow Soldier

Enigmatic Man

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2008, 10:16:45 am »

About Israel, they can't HAVE ANY CRIME at all, since they are surrounded on all sides by their religious enemies, called Muslims.  I bet crime rate is pretty dang low, since they are generally busy fighting to survive, or were at least O_o.  They are modern day Spartans. 

Loosening gun control laws would dampen crime because then no criminal has an advantage of illegal guns, in the best case scenario.  When there are big gun control laws, the criminal is breaking the law anyways, so he is going to get the biggest/best gun he can, and because of gun control laws, no one else is going to be able to oppose him.  But with lose laws, they don't have the advantage, and would rather not let him/herself get shot.  You get me?  But this is all in the BEST case scenario.  I just get the feeling the weaker gun control laws would just be abused aka the worse/worst case scenario.

Um...Palestine is more like Sparta. They're a small, poor country with little army/weapons defending themselves against a foreign invader. Israel gets 3 billion dollars a year from the American government for use on arms. I don't agree with either side but neither are in any way virtuous.

There is no way more guns can equal less shootings. No guns= no shootings     Few guns= few shootings.
That's the way it works. The first is impossible, the second perhaps not.
Report Spam   Logged

Obligatory FE9 quote:

"Don't worry about old Kieran! Just gotta take this axe out of my head.....Whoo that's sharp!" -Kieran/Rhys B support.
PhoenixTears
What's in a name? That which we call a rose.

By any other name would smell as sweet.

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2008, 12:48:13 pm »

And so, society is corrupt.
Leonri, the point StS and Kiro are trying to make, is that if there are less gun control laws, people have an easier time obtaining guns, therefore more people will have guns. Then if some robber or what not is deciding to commit a crime, they have to put into consideration the fact that the people they are robbing, or the people they are whatever could possibly be holding a gun in their hand. =D
And then, think about the reason WHY gun control exists. It's to stop people who might want to use guns for the wrong reasons. Well, no matter what you do, if a person really wants something, they're going to end up finding a way to get it. They'll get around the rules.

Hence, we loosen gun control, so that if there are instances where someone faces a gun, they will be able to obtain a gun easily to defend themselves.

And sure, no guns = no shooting, and few guns = few shootings. Sometimes. Even with few guns, it's possible that there are many shootings. I mean, kids that go on college campus murders with guns probably aren't carrying many, yet, as long as they have the bullets, they'll be shooting.
Unless we stop gun manufacturing FOREVER (impossible), it's not possible... to reduce shootings to that point.
Report Spam   Logged

Stefan the SwordSaint

~Stefan

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2008, 01:03:13 pm »

Leonri, the point StS and Stefan
Right, but you said me twice Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

clicky clicky
Leonri
Crow Soldier

Enigmatic Man

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2008, 01:15:02 pm »

There is no right reason to use a gun. I see the point ther making but I don't agree with it. Experienced criminals may be able to find a gun but if they were illegal, I imagine a pissed-off college kid wouldn't. Guns are legal here and I would have no idea how to get one.
I don't think any thief would take citizens with firearms into consideration. Citizens with guns are more likely to shoot a family member than a criminal.
Report Spam   Logged

Obligatory FE9 quote:

Stefan the SwordSaint

~Stefan

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2008, 01:24:38 pm »

Perchance we should look into the history of right to bear arms?  While I agree there is no reason for me or you to use a gun, look back in this country and other countries history and you might see a few.
Report Spam   Logged

clicky clicky
PhoenixTears
What's in a name? That which we call a rose.

By any other name would smell as sweet.

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2008, 02:50:56 pm »

Leonri, the point StS and Stefan
Right, but you said me twice Tongue
Um... fixed. 8D

There is no right reason to use a gun. I see the point ther making but I don't agree with it. Experienced criminals may be able to find a gun but if they were illegal, I imagine a pissed-off college kid wouldn't. Guns are legal here and I would have no idea how to get one.
I don't think any thief would take citizens with firearms into consideration. Citizens with guns are more likely to shoot a family member than a criminal.
? A pissed of college kid wouldn't hrm? Think back to about a year ago. Do you remember the Virginia Tech incident?
Yeahhhh, don't you think he would have just gotten that gun anyways and gone on that killing spree?
I think he would.
No, I do think a theif should take citizens with firearms into consideration. And by what chance are they more likely to shoot a family member than a criminal? On accident or purpose? And think: what if that citizens knows how to use the firearm?
My brother is in our town's rifle club, and I think he'd know full well how to use a firearm.
Report Spam   Logged

Kiroshima

Follower of Twilight

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2008, 06:17:25 pm »

It isn't even hard to use a firearm technically.  Point, and pull.  Maintenence and reloading may be difficult, but still, it only takes one shot to down ANY person.  Compared to a traditional midieval weapon such as a sword, guns are fairly easy to use.  You can't even compare them to bows, which require great skill to use properly.  Closest thing would be a crossbow for ease of operation.

Wait, so citizens in families would more often backstab each other than shoot a criminal?  What kinda world do YOU live in?  Must be a very cruel world to be sure.

There plenty of right reasons to use a gun, MOST of which are countering the wrong reasons to use a gun.  I consider it a right reason to use a gun to protect my family and friends from harm, or to help defend my country from invaders.  The thing is, a lot of people end up using guns for the WRONG reason.

After all, guns are but tools.  Tools are not right OR wrong, it is the wielder that makes things happen. 
Report Spam   Logged

Stefan the SwordSaint

~Stefan

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2008, 09:48:32 pm »

Well I would hardly call a gun a tool, it is a weapon, it is why is was constructed and how it is used.
Report Spam   Logged

clicky clicky
Leonri
Crow Soldier

Enigmatic Man

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2008, 08:19:12 am »

The world where more people shoot family than criminals is the same one you're in. It's the one where pretty much anyone can buy and keep a gun because of non-existant gun control. It's the one where there are more dangerous criminals in your head than on the streets.It's the one where people imagine firearms make them safer. It's the one where a guy goes into a school, shoots everything and becomes an overnight celebrity.

PT, how would the Virginia Tech guy have gooten the gun if they were illegal?

You keep saying personal guns will protect people. Imagine this. A guy goes into a bank, whips out a gun and demands money. Two other citizens take out their guns and aim at the robber. Now which scenario has more fatalities, the one with only the thief having a gun or the one with ordinary people with guns for "protection"?
Report Spam   Logged

Obligatory FE9 quote:

Anima Sage Erk
Hunter of Pent and Nino fanatics everywhere.

Prepare to be owned, fanatics of Pent

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2008, 08:22:02 am »

A right reason to use a gun? Hunting, is by far a good reason, unless your a member of PETA( which in Idaho stands for People Eating Tasty Animals). I come from a low-income family, and hunting is a cheaper way to get food.Much cheaper than a lot of food that other people eat.
Report Spam   Logged

Credits to Kiro for this awesomeness sig.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum