Best Of Three Worlds
April 18, 2024, 11:21:19 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ok guys, I have returned!!! I know the activity is nill to none, but my users who still come here and I are going to try and revive this forum!!! Smiley

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Global Warming

Recent Items

Views: 15
Comments (0)
By: PhoenixTears

Views: 14
Comments (0)
By: PhoenixTears

Views: 36
Comments (3)
By: Dr. Backflips

Views: 27
Comments (1)
By: Dr. Backflips
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Global Warming  (Read 421 times)
Divine Storm

Womanizer ^_^

« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2008, 09:11:31 am »

What do you exactly mean?
Report Spam   Logged
Stefan the SwordSaint

~Stefan

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2008, 01:38:50 pm »

Which part?
well first is self explatory so I'll guess the mars thing.
I've read and seen on the news that some of the green house gases that are here are moved to mars it would help with the current situation with Global Warming, and in the long run make mars habital.
Report Spam   Logged

clicky clicky
FE9 quote: "Now we've got you! Eat rock! Heh... eat rock... I'm pretty clever..." - Soldier (to Ike's army)
FEMiroth
Just Plain Awesome
Global Moderator

Foremerly Firemblemaniac

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2008, 08:11:35 pm »

There is no actual proof that Global warming is our doing. Its just a hypothesis. I don't believe we started it. after all.....why did it suddenly happen now, instead of trhe industrial revolution in england(or anywhere, for that matter)? Soot covered everything that wasn't moved often. and the idea of making mars habital is crazy! We all know money can't buy everything! (geez. scientists think they can do everything, but they can't.) anyways, my theory is, that this is the opposite of an ice age. after all, the world could not have frozen over without severe climate changes. thats my opninion.
Report Spam   Logged

I Guess L won in the end.
PhoenixTears
What's in a name? That which we call a rose.

By any other name would smell as sweet.

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2008, 08:17:04 pm »

You know, if soot covered everything, that would actually make the world a lot... cooler.
Report Spam   Logged

Kiroshima

Follower of Twilight

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2008, 08:51:54 pm »

Global warming is a misnomer.  It actually promotes both hot and cold, because the CO2 acts as a double sided barrier.  It reflects heat and holds it in, resulting in more extreme temperatures both ways, which is how Gobal Warming can result in an Ice Age like effect.  CO2 (the greenhouse gas most disputed) has been rising almost linearly since the Industrial age, so it has been adding on for a time, but at a somewhat constant rate.  Technically, since burning wood and such produces CO2, we technically have been contributing since the beginning of farming, when the early farmers used mass burning to deforest large areas for farms.  Note, the sun has also probably contributed due to changes in its flare patterns and such, can't ignore that.  It seems global warming is caused by a number of sources, including our own.

Making Mars habital is indeed crazy, but possible, at least if the cause is what some scientists think.  If it the disappearence of an atmosphere, and thus the water, is due to the fact that Mars lacks a Magnetic Field, then it is probably something having to do with its Core.  Just watch The Core, and you'll see the effects of having no Magnetic Field, Earth gets roasted like a blow torch held to an orange due to intense Gamma Radiation from Solar Wind blowing right through us with no barrier to stop it.  Restarting a planet's core is obviously incredibly difficult, and we would have to possess a level of technology much greater than that of which we have today.  Of course, we'd also have to terraform Mars as well, which is also out of our technological range for a long, long time.  Possible, but not plausible. 
Report Spam   Logged

Stefan the SwordSaint

~Stefan

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2008, 07:05:00 pm »

Mars HAS an atmosphere....just a very poor one for surface water and life.....
Report Spam   Logged

clicky clicky
FE9 quote: "Now we've got you! Eat rock! Heh... eat rock... I'm pretty clever..." - Soldier (to Ike's army)
Kiroshima

Follower of Twilight

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2008, 07:44:48 pm »

Eh, either way, it comes down to the magnetic field and solar radiation.  Mars has essentially been burnt dry...
Report Spam   Logged

Stefan the SwordSaint

~Stefan

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2008, 08:21:22 pm »

err more like frozen dry....
Report Spam   Logged

clicky clicky
PhoenixTears
What's in a name? That which we call a rose.

By any other name would smell as sweet.

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2008, 09:10:24 pm »

Yup, and Pluto is frozen.
Anyways, back to Global Warming...
so whether or not the entire theory of global warming is true, you have to accept the fact that temperatures are rising. We don't know what it may lead to...
which is the why the entire debate exists.
And...
even if we aren't causing global warming, shouldn't we clean up our ecosystem?
Report Spam   Logged

Kiroshima

Follower of Twilight

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2008, 09:50:36 pm »

Yes, and yes, it is rising, whether or not it is our fault, and we ought to fix our ecosystem.  However, both are very difficult to tackle so it seems, not in manpower, but in outlook and personality and stuff.  If everyone wanted to fix the ecosystem, they'd vote Green party or something lol. (Just joking around)  Either way, the main problem is probably the attitude of the people, not their capability to fix global warming.
Report Spam   Logged

A2ZOMG

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2008, 11:26:13 pm »

Global Warming huh? I'll keep it short and sweet in this post.

Basically, carbon dioxide levels are indeed much higher than they ever have been in previous ages.  Measurements from ice cores proves this.

And it's already a real serious issue in our lives, which unfortunately nobody in the most powerful country on the world ever notices for some reason.  Heck, even I have a hard time noticing the way it affects our planet largely because it isn't publicly presented very well.  However insurance companies have indeed noticed an increase in costs of storm damage, if that means anything. We also have more severe heat waves, more severe storms where they occur, things like increases in populations of jellyfish because increased CO2 increases acid levels in ocean (which also destroys coral reefs = bad).

Plus, the rising temperatures near the poles is a bad thing because near Siberia, there is this EXTRA ATMOSPHERE of CO2 frozen in the ice that will eventually get released if the ice there continues to get warmer.  THAT there is the real thing you gotta watch out for.

Ultimately, despite what you may think, Global Warming is already adversely affecting our world pretty severely. And it isn't going to stop there while CO2 levels continue to rise.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum