Best Of Three Worlds
April 18, 2024, 06:32:56 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ok guys, I have returned!!! I know the activity is nill to none, but my users who still come here and I are going to try and revive this forum!!! Smiley

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

The golden compass

Recent Items

Views: 15
Comments (0)
By: PhoenixTears

Views: 14
Comments (0)
By: PhoenixTears

Views: 36
Comments (3)
By: Dr. Backflips

Views: 27
Comments (1)
By: Dr. Backflips
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: The golden compass  (Read 372 times)
Amyler

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2007, 07:10:52 pm »

^Its based off a book, and (atleast the book) isn't suppose to be childish...

The book is called Northern Lights, which is such a better title that I refuse to call it the Golden Compass, because that is just severly dumbing down the name of the Alithiometer. :p

Anywho, I went and saw the movie yesterday, and I have to say, I was impressed. I was expecting something fairly different from the book, and worse. While it did differ in some aspects (the most annoying of which was making the Magestirium seem much more evil then it is) but overall it was enjoyable. Although the ending was a cop out, because now you've all missed out on the major events that take place about 5 minutes after the movies end.

The next book is called the Subtle Knife, and the final one the Amber Spyglass, for anyone who wants to read them. Written by Phillip Paulman. ... I think. >.> *never good with Authors names*
Report Spam   Logged

Stefan the SwordSaint

~Stefan

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2007, 07:15:47 pm »

^Its based off a book, and (atleast the book) isn't suppose to be childish...

The book is called Northern Lights, which is such a better title that I refuse to call it the Golden Compass, because that is just severly dumbing down the name of the Alithiometer. :p

The american version is atleast called the golden compass...I got to copies for christmas >.>
Report Spam   Logged

clicky clicky
FE9 quote: "Now we've got you! Eat rock! Heh... eat rock... I'm pretty clever..." - Soldier (to Ike's army)
Amyler

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2007, 07:27:54 pm »

Nah, they do that with any books to movies. I'll bet the cover has a picture from the movie on it, right? Dead give away that it was a reprint.
Report Spam   Logged

Stefan the SwordSaint

~Stefan

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2007, 07:29:55 pm »

No, and I just realize one copy is from last Christmas (no movie!!!) and it says golden compass too.
Report Spam   Logged

clicky clicky
FE9 quote: "Now we've got you! Eat rock! Heh... eat rock... I'm pretty clever..." - Soldier (to Ike's army)
Amyler

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2007, 07:33:02 pm »

Hm, really? Thats weird. Well, I suppose titles do sometimes change from country to country, ubt I could have sworn that Lightning said he had it and it was called Northern Lights as well... meh. Either way, Northern lights is a way better title then the Golden Compass. XD After all, in my copy of the book, the name Golden compass is never even mentioned!
Report Spam   Logged

Stefan the SwordSaint

~Stefan

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2007, 07:35:57 pm »

....O.o
....wierd...
Report Spam   Logged

clicky clicky
PhoenixTears
What's in a name? That which we call a rose.

By any other name would smell as sweet.

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2007, 07:38:54 pm »

Hmmm...
Makes me want to read it. XD
Report Spam   Logged

Stefan the SwordSaint

~Stefan

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2007, 07:39:48 pm »

Hm, really? Thats weird. Well, I suppose titles do sometimes change from country to country, ubt I could have sworn that Lightning said he had it and it was called Northern Lights as well... meh. Either way, Northern lights is a way better title then the Golden Compass. XD After all, in my copy of the book, the name Golden compass is never even mentioned!
how bout
the subtle knife or the amber spyglass?
the whole series is called his dark materials though...
Report Spam   Logged

clicky clicky
Amyler

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2007, 07:51:37 pm »

Yup, thats what they were called here too... as I mentioned before. XD

Here the series was called ... called ... *mental blank.* something. I can't remember. *will check later.* But it wasn't his dark materials, thats for sure. *no Idea where that name came from.*
Report Spam   Logged

Stefan the SwordSaint

~Stefan

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2007, 07:55:29 pm »

actually looks like it was published in the USA...
Well this is all wierd....
Report Spam   Logged

clicky clicky
Amyler

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2007, 08:02:25 pm »

When a book is published internationally, different version are made for different places. even for example, Britan, Australian and American copies differ, because of small differences between the lingo and such. *clever example there. tehe.* Its not uncommon. Same happened with LOtR, HP and many more examples.
Report Spam   Logged

Stefan the SwordSaint

~Stefan

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2007, 08:04:57 pm »

Yea..good point....
Report Spam   Logged

clicky clicky
TheAPERSON
Just try playing me
Global Moderator

THE Guitar Hero

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2008, 05:23:51 am »

I thought it was a very well done film that (almost) did the book justice. Here's to the Subtle Knife. Whoever they choose to play Will will have to lose a finger though.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum